Improving the efficiency of product safety regulations
Status: In Implementation
Brazil is a major actor in international trade but also a relatively closed economy with complex import procedures. The current product safety regulations mean high costs for companies, consumers and the regulatory authorities.
WHAT WE DO
Since 2019, the Brazilian Government has been working on an innovative approach to improving the efficiency of the countryâ€™s product safety regulations. Its aim is to simplify the registration process for an import licence.
Under the Alliance project, the Brazilian National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (INMETRO) is cooperating with companies and industry associations to implement this new regulatory framework. The aim is to bring down the costs incurred by companies in demonstrating product safety.
The Alliance project works with the Global Project for Quality Infrastructure â€“ Brazil (GPQI) supported by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi).
- Increasing regulatory efficiency in two sectors with relevance to trade
- Creating a more favourable trade environment as a result of a new regulatory approach
- Greater protection for consumers, and lower costs and fewer barriers for manufacturers, as a result of the use of internationally tried and tested practices
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
Are you working in a company with global supply chains? Please contact us to find out more about the project and the German Alliance for Trade Facilitation.
RELATION TO TRADE FACILITATION AGREEMENT
This project contributes towards the implementation of the following articleÂ of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreement on Trade Facilitation:
- Article 10.1: Formalities Connected with Importation, Exportation and Transit: Formalities and Documentation Requirements
- Article 10.3: Formalities Connected with Importation, Exportation and Transit: Use of International Standards
- Article 10.7: Formalities Connected with Importation, Exportation and Transit: Common Border Procedures and Uniform Documentation Requirements
Deutsche Gesellschaft fÃ¼r Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)